Charging at home

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marlon Ors

Reaction score
I was wondering if you always keep your charging cable plugged in at home. That way, if I want to preheat or cool the car before a trip, it won't drain the battery too much. I can't decide whether it's better to charge it and then unplug it, or to leave it connected until I leave. Do you have any tips?

Some people prefer to unplug after preconditioning, but I leave mine hooked up until I take off. I believe there is nothing wrong with it.

I don't think it will affect anything that much. There have been no reports or any problems by keeping it plugged in all the time. I just leave it as it is and nothing bad happened.

Caveat emptor. You should check the owner's manual. My 2011 LEAF charges the 12V battery from the traction battery when unplugged, but not when plugged in. If it's left plugged in for a long time e.g. days, the 12V will run down because of offline loads such as running the charge timer, the telematics, etc.

Always unplug when battery is full. The battery will be damaged if it is left plugged for overnight,
let it rest as well y'know. That was how they explained to me. Maybe an expert out there can explain it further.

Join the BMW i5 Community

Support, tutorials, and a friendly community

Back