Efficient Mode for long trips

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArnoldoaleMan

Reaction score
I recently took a 80-mile round trip in my i5 using Efficient Mode. I was driving in a mountainous region with an elevation of up to 5,000 feet. I started with a 90% charge (about 230 miles) and ended up with a 70% charge (over 260 miles) when I returned to my hotel. I used Efficient Mode with max range, as the speed limit was 35 mph. I also had regen B mode engaged.

I'm planning a 350-mile trip tomorrow and I'm wondering if I can get more than 260 miles using Efficient Mode on the way home. I won't be able to use max range as the speed limit is only 60 mph. Has anyone else used Efficient Mode for long trips and can share their experiences?

On my way home, I flip the switch to efficient mode, even though I’m not totally sure what it’s actually doing for me lol. The traffic's usually dense, and I kind of like messing around with the car’s efficiency features. Funny thing is, efficient mode doesn’t really make the car more efficient for me, it just makes the throttle a bit lazy. I haven’t seen much of a difference in power use between efficient and personal modes. But driving in efficient mode is helping me build habits that might come in handy when I switch to personal or even sport mode later on.

Join the BMW i5 Community

Support, tutorials, and a friendly community

Back