i5 eDrive40 - Exterior Lights Turning On Randomly (Any Reason For That?)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlaconFuel008

Reaction score
Hi, everyone!

3 months ago I got my i5 eDrive40 as a gift for my birthday and I have been in love with it since then.
I don't have anything to complain about, except for one thing:
The exterior lights of the car are randomly turning on.
What could be the reason? I tried to find one, but no results.
Nothing on the dashboard indicates something is wrong, and I check for open doors, the key fob and card are with me every time.

Today I found the car light on again. And it was locked because as I was approaching I could hear the car unlocked.

BMW support only told me to bring the car in for the service.
This is what I am going to do.
Still, is anyone here who experienced the same thing?

Let me know, please!

Hi, everyone!

3 months ago I got my i5 eDrive40 as a gift for my birthday and I have been in love with it since then.
I don't have anything to complain about, except for one thing:
The exterior lights of the car are randomly turning on.
What could be the reason? I tried to find one, but no results.
Nothing on the dashboard indicates something is wrong, and I check for open doors, the key fob and card are with me every time.

Today I found the car light on again. And it was locked because as I was approaching I could hear the car unlocked.

BMW support only told me to bring the car in for the service.
This is what I am going to do.
Still, is anyone here who experienced the same thing?

Let me know, please!
It might be the fact that you approach with your phone. When you do that, the car activates its welcome lights and then unlocks.

Use that feature that allows you to drive without keys. Try to keep the keys far from the car and see what happens.

Join the BMW i5 Community

Support, tutorials, and a friendly community

Back