i5 eDrive40 Setting Changes When I Use The Second Key

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlaconFuel008

Reaction score
Hi, guys!
As you already know, I got my i5 eDrive40 as a gift.

I have another problem now.
Whenever a family member uses the second car key, my car goes crazy. The settings change, and I have to reset it and reconfigure the settings every time. I have done it several times already and it is annoying. The worst part of this causes problems with auto parking, and reverse parking (it keeps moving forward). Also, sometimes it has unlocking and connectivity problems. Like, when I approach it, the Apple Car Play doesn't connect, the seat gets changed, and (this is awful) IT DOESN'T START CHARGING WHEN I PLUG IT IN.

I went with the car to the service three times already. The solution I found was to reset the car by holding the audio key for 30 seconds.
I have even tried a few software updates but without any results.
Did this happen to you?

Sorry to hear you’re having a rough time with your i5. If this keeps happening, you might wanna think about getting a new key or hitting up your dealer for some reprogramming. Just to clarify, though - using your first key is all smooth sailing, yeah?

Hi, guys!
As you already know, I got my i5 eDrive40 as a gift.

I have another problem now.
Whenever a family member uses the second car key, my car goes crazy. The settings change, and I have to reset it and reconfigure the settings every time. I have done it several times already and it is annoying. The worst part of this causes problems with auto parking, and reverse parking (it keeps moving forward). Also, sometimes it has unlocking and connectivity problems. Like, when I approach it, the Apple Car Play doesn't connect, the seat gets changed, and (this is awful) IT DOESN'T START CHARGING WHEN I PLUG IT IN.

I went with the car to the service three times already. The solution I found was to reset the car by holding the audio key for 30 seconds.
I have even tried a few software updates but without any results.
Did this happen to you?
Hey, you should try replacing the batteries in the key fob, this could help. If there is still an issue, your dealer can try to reprogram the key.

Join the BMW i5 Community

Support, tutorials, and a friendly community

Back