i5 Won't Charge Right

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VitorLF

Reaction score
So I'm having a bit of a struggle with the charging my i5. The car keeps bailing on charging and dropping the rate down to 6 amps, even though I’ve got it cranked up to 32 amps. I’ve dug through all the settings, but I’m totally stuck. Has anyone else run into this or know how to fix it? Is this just a software glitch in the charging app or what? Throw me a lifeline, please!

So I'm having a bit of a struggle with the charging my i5. The car keeps bailing on charging and dropping the rate down to 6 amps, even though I’ve got it cranked up to 32 amps. I’ve dug through all the settings, but I’m totally stuck. Has anyone else run into this or know how to fix it? Is this just a software glitch in the charging app or what? Throw me a lifeline, please!
If your home charger is 40 amps, you'll need a 50 amp circuit breaker. Cars typically stop charging for safety reasons. You should have an electrician inspect the wiring.

Thank you for the response!

I’ve got a L2 charger on a 50-amp circuit with GFCI and thermal overload protection. It maxes out at 36 amps, while my car is set for a 32-amp charge. To be clear, it doesn’t stop charging, it just flips from charging immediately to timed charging mode - though I haven’t set any time slots! I’m guessing it’s just my car’s quirky settings, since the charger works perfectly with our other ride.

Join the BMW i5 Community

Support, tutorials, and a friendly community

Back