Digital Key plus tips for new BMW owners

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Augustus Caesar

Reaction score
I want to share a quick tip for those of you who have the Digital Key Plus feature. If you're new to BMWs, you might not know that you'll get an email from BMW after setting up the feature in the MyBMW app. You can download the digital key to your phone (in my case, Google Wallet). It's super handy because you don't have to carry around a physical key. Your phone will automatically lock and unlock the car.

Heads up, after a few days, my BMW ID wasn't pulling up automatically. I realized that I needed to rescan the QR code in the MyBMW app and then go to the settings in my car under my ID. There's a feature that asks for the keys associated with your account. You should see the digital key there. Select it, and leave your regular key in as well. That way you can use either one. Now when you walk to your car, it unlocks and pulls up your BMW ID. No more bulky keys to worry about!

I want to share a quick tip for those of you who have the Digital Key Plus feature. If you're new to BMWs, you might not know that you'll get an email from BMW after setting up the feature in the MyBMW app. You can download the digital key to your phone (in my case, Google Wallet). It's super handy because you don't have to carry around a physical key. Your phone will automatically lock and unlock the car.

Heads up, after a few days, my BMW ID wasn't pulling up automatically. I realized that I needed to rescan the QR code in the MyBMW app and then go to the settings in my car under my ID. There's a feature that asks for the keys associated with your account. You should see the digital key there. Select it, and leave your regular key in as well. That way you can use either one. Now when you walk to your car, it unlocks and pulls up your BMW ID. No more bulky keys to worry about!
Hey @Augustus Caesar, when was the last time you fired up your Digital Key Plus? I’ve been using mine on my Samsung S23 Ultra, and after just a couple of weeks, it decided to quit on me. Luckily, I got it back up and running by clearing the Android cache. But now I’m curious - was this just a random glitch, did I screw something up, or is this kinda thing a usual pain after a while?

Join the BMW i5 Community

Support, tutorials, and a friendly community

Back